Board of Directors Commitment Form
Note: The Nominations Committee should provide Board commitment form to prospective candidates. It is the role of the committee to ascertain that nominees understand and are willing to serve.
Board of Directors Commitment Form
The following board director responsibilities were reviewed by the Board of Directors and approved as an association policy. As a nominee or current director to the board are willing to make every effort to fulfill these responsibilities, please sign, date, and return this commitment no later than _____.
The Board of Directors is responsible for ensuring the organization’s long-term financial stability and integrity. Directors ensure that the organization fulfills its mission by doing quality work. Directors recognize that in order to foster the organization’s continued viability and growth, diversification of income sources is essential and they pledge to personally contribute needed resources and talents toward this end.
- Support the mission statement.
- Read and understand the financial statements and otherwise assist the Board in fulfilling its fiduciary responsibility.
- Attend board meetings and actively participate in decision-making.
- Share your area of expertise with the board and staff.
- Be an advocate for the organization; promote it in ways appropriate to your profession and contacts
- Maintain your membership, and in addition to membership, make a financial contribution appropriate to your circumstances
- Obtain various means of support for the organization, such as sponsorships, advertisers, members, exhibitors, speakers, etc.
- Fulfill the duties of care, obedience and loyalty to the organization.
- Participate in regular assessments to improve board performance.
- Participate in strategic planning activities.
- Prioritize and monitor programs and services.
- Select the executive director and review his/her performance.
- Partner with the executive director to accomplish the mission.
- Serve on at least one committee or task force each year.
- Work to develop new leadership and recommend potential board members to the board development committee
- Avoid even the appearance of conflict of interest
- Participate in the organization’s conferences and meetings.
Desired Skills and Experience
Have knowledge of history, mission and goals. Knowledge of the community and commitment to maintaining a strong organization that is responsive to the membership. Working knowledge of bylaws and policies. Ability to handle organization business with tact, enthusiasm and commitment. Ability to communicate effectively. Ability to motivate committee members. Ability to take responsibility and follow through on assignments. Ability to work well with people individually and in a group.
Term of Service
Members of the Board of Directors are elected for various terms. (The voting members at the annual meeting elect directors.) Members may be re-elected according to the bylaws.
Directors are reimbursed for travel to and from office meetings of the board in accordance with the association’s travel guidelines and submission of receipts. There is no financial compensation for serving on the board.
Attend each board meeting, serve or assist on committees and be available to members, other leaders and staff, estimated to require 5 to 10 hours per month.
Benefits of Leadership Service
Leadership is viewed as an opportunity to make a difference in the profession or trade. Opportunity to identify needs, support and achieve organization and trade/professional goals. Gain or enhance experience in building and working with teams. Increase knowledge of association activities and resources. Promote and develop leadership in others. Help to shape the organization’s direction and future.
I (print name) _____________________________________, am willing to make every effort to fulfill the association Board of Directors responsibilities as outlined above.
Note: Provided as a template or sample for adaptation to any organization. For additional information, contact bob@RCHCAE.com.